Christmastime has arrived! I don’t know about you, but we are fascinated with discovering unique places to visit to get in the holiday spirit. The St. Louis Garden Glow with its million lights and festive installations seemed to do the trick. The Missouri Botanical Garden – one of our favorite U.S. botanical gardens by the way – is transformed into a glowing winter wonderland during the end of November and the month of December.
It was our first time visiting during the Garden Glow. Although it was a brisk Monday night, we were dressed for the occasion so the frigid temps did not bother us at all. We enjoyed the illuminated walk while listening to joyful and merry music. Happily on our way to making our spirits bright!
The one-way path through the garden is just over a mile long. Greeting us almost immediately was the Blizzard Bar. What better way to warm up but from the inside out, right? We didn’t indulge in a drink this time since it would get in the way with us taking pictures. I like that it was an option though.
We continued on our way through balls of light, lantern row, the twinkling tunnel, and even raced through a radiating maze.
Concessions are set up throughout the botanical garden that offer refreshments, hot chocolate, kettle corn, hot dogs, and other snacks. The garden even has open fires where you can toast your own marshmallows.
The Missouri Botanical Garden was once the garden and country estate of a prominent local businessman, Henry Shaw. Opened in 1859, it is one of the oldest botanical gardens in the United States. The Tower Grove House, where Shaw lived, is open to the public and decked out with holiday decorations. We warmed up with a short self-guided tour inside.
Looking for other holiday ideas in St Louis? Check out Anheuser-Busch’s spectacular display here.
Walking through the Garden Glow at Missouri Botanical Garden was just the right thing to kick start the holiday season. Read below for tips when you visit.
Unique Places to Stay Near Missouri Botanical Garden
- Fleur-de-Lys Mansion, Upscale B&B
- The Cheshire, Old English Style Inn
- Moonrise Hotel, Adults only romantic hotel
Tips for Visiting St. Louis Garden Glow
- Address: 4344 Shaw Boulevard, St. Louis, Missouri
- Go on a weekday right at opening for discounted ticket prices and to avoid crowds.
- If you cannot make it on a weekday, purchase tickets online beforehand.
- Avoid family night (discounted tickets for children) if you do not have kids.
- Free parking lot attached to the garden.
- Dress warm. Although there are some parts indoors, the majority is outdoors.
- Selfie sticks are not permitted.
Plan Your Trip to St. Louis
We have been budget traveling for over ten years and love finding deals. Here are a few websites that we use consistently to save money and time booking accommodations, flights and car rental.
- Hotels.com has a best rate guarantee program that allows you to price match up until 24 hours prior to arrival and its rewards program gives one free night for every 10 nights collected.
- Airfarewatchdog.com is a comparison website that searches through tons of flights. It compares airline pricing up to three times a day, having up to date information and also includes airlines such as Southwest and Allegiant that other websites do not include.
- Flying in to St. Louis and need a car? Priceline is usually the cheapest for car rentals and has a best rate guarantee program as well.
Be Part of the Adventure.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, if you book through our link we will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thanks for your support as this helps us with the cost of running the website.
Like it? Pin it!